Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Features of VFP8 I'd like to start using in my apps

I can hear you all laughing now! VFP8? you say, that's an old version of VFP already, shouldn't you be discussing features of VFP9?

Yes, I will probably make a post about VFP9 features someday, but for now a little story..

One day I decided to really read carefully through the What's New section of the VFP8 help and was shocked to find that there were several features I hadn't seen mentioned before. I had read up quite a bit on VFP8 prior to it's release in all the magazines so I thought I knew everything about the product.

So I decided to make myself a list of some of these new features that I thought would be great to start adding into my applications. Keep in mind, I've already been using the 'headline' new features such as try/catch and other big features for quite some time, so I obviously won't be mentioning those here. Here's the list I came up with - hopefully you'll find it useful for your applications too!

In no particular order:
1) Internal support for hand icon - no need for an external icon file for hyperlink class
2) BindControls Property for runtime
3) COMPOBJ() function to compare objects
4) SCATTER TO NAME ADDITIVE
5) DisplayPath() for showing long paths with ...
6) EVL() - Same as NVL() for Nulls

You can read up about these in the VFP8 help file for the real details.

If there's others you like, feel free to comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home